With our first chance to play in the NCAA tournament in a long time (years) it seems that we will be going to the Big Dance this year. But first things first.
The Hawks had an amazing start to the season. It’s been a long time (years) since the Iowa Hawkeye men’s team has placed high in the Big Ten standings (mostly due to Steve Alford. Bad coach, bad!). And after years of not being nationally ranked (mostly due to Steve Alford. Bad coach, bad!) we are! Coach Fran McCaffery did what no coach has been able to do since Dr. Tom Davis: Coach and recruit! You and your staff are amazing, Coach!
We held on to 3rd place in the Big Ten for a long time, but with two tough losses back to back, we have slipped into 5th place.
I don’t want to wish ill will on anyone, but for the Hawks not to end up at or near the bottom of the heap, there can only be one outcome in this weekend’s play (teams in bold MUST win):
|Saturday, March 1
|Sunday, March 2
Note: The Illinois-Michigan State game outcome won’t really affect us, but who doesn’t want to see Michigan State lose?
And a personal word to some of the players:
- Aaron White: Whaddup? Get your game back on, we need you.
- Zach McCabe: Watch those freshman fouls.
- Adam Woodbury: Watch those elbows!
- Roy Devyn Marble: When you’re hot, you’re hot. Find a way to get and stay hot!
- Mike Gesell: You’re a little pepperpot, stepping up when we need you. More of that, please.
- Josh Oglesby: Counting on you for those insane, from-the-parking-lot threes.
- Gabe Olaseni: Keep doing what you’re doing and smile more, you light up the place!
- Jarrod Uthoff: Wisconsin’s loss, our gain. Make those threes!
- Melsahn Basabe: Stay healthy.